Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 4th Horribles Parade


I remember the Horribles Parade in the Danvers Highlands.


Here are two photos dated July 4, 1958.  I found them in my old album.

I recognize my mother (in light-colored dress) standing to the left of the car.



Today I found an announcement online of this year's parade:
 "Join the most horrible parade in Danvers. All are welcome. Dress up yourselves, your wagons, your bikes, make your own floats, or just march in your most festive 4th of July attire. "

I'm glad to know that the tradition continues.

Horribles Parade 1958
Our family enjoyed coming to the Highlands and  watching the parade. My parents knew some people who lived nearby and liked to talk with their friends. My sister and I liked to look at the "Horrible" costumes. Unfortunately I didn't capture any good photos of the costumes. Probably I was too busy staring at the best ones and forgot to aim my camera. (I was new at photography that year, having just received a Brownie StarFlash camera at Christmas 1957.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this memory! I marched and played in the band for the parade all through high school. The band included members of the Danvers High School band and we rehearsed several times before the parade on the lawn of the Meyers family home at the common. I marched one last time after graduation and dressed as a native American, complete with Mohawk haircut, war paint, and breech cloth. I can also report that my mother and father attended the parade this year.