Thursday, December 2, 2010

Christmas trees

Remembering the Christmas trees of my childhood is the theme of my December column:
   Christmas trees small and large.

I've been looking for photos to post here.  The search has led to boxes of slides and prints in closets, the attic, and odd corners, but so far no photos of the little trees of my childhood.  Meanwhile, a cousin has helped by scanning older family photos (see next post).

I'm still looking for photos of the Christmas trees in our home in the late 1940's or early 1950's.  I did find this image of our little house (mailed out as a Christmas postcard with the message "Greetings from 120 Nichols Street" in my father's handwriting):

 
And this outside photo (below) from mid 1950's... Jean and I with skis, and note the squirrel track across the roof!    


The window on the left is in the living room window; Jean's bedroom on right.   Our Christmas tree would not have been visible in this view.  It was on top of a narrow table on the left edge of the livingroom, visible only through a window on that south side.  

No comments: