Thursday, October 10, 2024

Topsfield Fair foods

In my local newspaper today, in western Massachusetts, I was surprised to see an article about foods at the 2024 Topsfield Fair.  I remember that Fair!  I don't remember much about eating food at the fair, but I do remember some of the rides, events (mutt races!), and buildings full of agricultural animals and exhibits.  I recall my mother proudly bringing selections of her best tomatoes for display and competition. She did that every year, so going to the Fair with my parents was an annual habit during my childhood.

I recall one season when my father brought a "sailing kayak" that he had designed and was trying to promote. He and cousin Jed Derouin had tested the prototype at the Ferncroft pond in Danvers, sailing back and forth. They brought the kayak to the fair and displayed many photos of it in action (with sail, without sail; with, or without, an outrigger for stability, and so forth). They staffed that exhibit booth day after day, and enjoyed taking with visitors. They had fun with the idea, but never found sponsors to develop this product and bring it to market. 

What about the foods at the Fair? Why don't I recall what I ate there?  I'm guessing that my mother packed food for us and/or discouraged the buying of the sugary treats often sold at fairs.  (She was quite serious about preventing tooth decay, and strictly limited our intake of sweets.)

I've previously written of other memories of the Topfield Fair.  To find them, type "Topsfield Fair" in the Search field (at upper left).

Today's newspaper says the Topsfield Fair – "one of the oldest agricultural fairs in the United States" – is running through Monday Oct. 14.   If I lived closer, I'd be tempted to attend the fair and order the "Shepard's Pie Baked Potato" from the Stuffed Potato stand. 

No comments: