Monday, December 19, 2022

1944 Photo

 

Sandy with stuffed toy.  August 22, 1944.

Here's an old photo!  It is an 8x10" photo of me at a young age in the living-room of our home at 120 Nichols Street, Danvers. I have no recollection of that time; I was very young (13 months old). But the scene is VERY familiar. The photograph, too, is familiar. I've seen it – and similar ones taken that same day – many times over the years. Perhaps my parents had hired a photographer to come and capture me in various poses.

Ah, I do remember that stuffed cat. I dragged it around for a long time, so in my memories that terry-cloth cat is thinner, much darker, and missing an eye. 

Yesterday when I went to the attic to fetch a sweater from a storage closet, I noticed again a print of this old photo. For years it has been lying there on the empty seat of that Victorian-era chair. Yes, the SAME chair pictured above. Tucked under the photo was a printout of a composition I had written some years ago about old chairs inherited from family.

Today I came to this blog, curious to see what I had already posted about this photo, that chair, and/or my reflections about keeping old chairs. Surprise! I had not yet shared ANY of these topics here. I'll fill those gaps now with this post, and my next one.

Fortunately I already had in my computer a digital version of this 1944 photo. The image you see above is much clearer and cleaner than the dusty copy in my attic. 

I also had compiled (in 2017) a photo gallery about that Victorian chair; see  https://sward.smugmug.com/Other/High-Chair/. Note: it really is a HIGH CHAIR that can convert to a very stable low chair (as in photo above) or to a chair that rocks. A remarkable chair!

No comments: