Sunday, September 27, 2020

Voting

This week, while reading a newspaper insert titled "100 Years" written by the League of Women Voters of Northampton, I encountered this sentence:

Because Massachusetts women had been able to vote for school committee members since 1879, and could equally hold any political office, meetings were held with Democratic and Republican party leaders in Northampton's seven wards asking for various women to be nominated, without success.

Immediately I thought about a woman in our family's history who had been among the first to vote in Danvers. What was that date? What documentation do we have?  Had I already shared that information via this blog?

Today I searched and found two relevant entries posted in February 2018:

Women's Rights 1870's  

1st vote by Danvers women 

In 1880 my great-grandmother was among the Danvers women who voted in a local election.

No comments: