Sunday, November 27, 2016

Putnam Pantry

On November 9, 2016, I had the opportunity to introduce my grandson to Putnam Pantry.  He was visiting New England from his home in CA, and had just turned 11.  I treated him to a Sundae.

I also told him a bit of the history of the place.
We drove by General Israel Putnam's house as we left, and I repeated the oft-told story about his command at the Battle of Bunker Hill, "Don't shoot 'til you see the whites of their eyes." A few days later Mateo and his mother took a tour of Bunker Hill, and he was excited to tell me that he recognized that quote. 

In September, after my high school reunion and a quick tour around my old neighborhood, now so changed as to be unrecognizable, I had written, "At least Putnam Pantry is still there, still in business."  It was a joy to bring my grandson there. 


No comments: