Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Pack-board

In my attic I have an old board that was used by my parents as a pack-board.  You can see slots where straps were attached or threaded through the board.

The cargo carried on this board was sometimes me, and later, my sister.  In the next image you can see how I (in snowsuit) was strapped securely to the board.

Click on the image to enlarge it. Note that I am smiling.
These photos do not reveal the shoulder straps which must be holding the pack-board to my parent's shoulders. My mother, left, and my father, right, were standing in our front yard (120 Nichols Street, Danvers) when these photos were taken. The next photo (same location) shows the pack-board and baby inside a knapsack carried by my father. Note that he was on skis. My sister and I were introduced to skiing at a very early age.

The next photo shows our whole family ready for a winter outing. My sister Jean was in the knapsack, and I was in a basket on the sled.  



Last week while cross-country skiing in the Adirondacks,  I observed young families carrying babies in a variety of special child-carriers, some carried on the back, some dragged on the snow.   I didn't see any home-made pack-boards in use, but there was a sturdy wooden pack frame on display in the ski lodge:
The pack-board in this display, seen February 2015 at Mt Van Hoevenberg, Lake Placid, NY, is oriented upside down, I think. Note the position of the shoulder straps. 



No comments: