Thursday, January 31, 2013

Teddy Bear


After viewing Ken Beck's large paintings of teddy bears (see my previous post), I wanted to see my own teddy bear again. I went to the attic, found the right box, and there she was, dressed in one of the outfits I had made years ago!

This is Cindy Bear, a favorite companion in my childhood.

I brought her down to my office and sat her on top of my desk.

Her joints still move, and she looks just the way I remember her.

A very nice bear.

I think I'll let her stay for a while on a shelf in my office.

She has many different dresses. I had to sew these outfits for her because she was a bit too chunky to fit into regular doll clothing. I didn't often play with dolls, but I did play with Cindy Bear.

I learned much about sewing as I fashioned outfits for Cindy to wear.  Fortunately Cindy Bear was patient as outfits were tried on over and over as I figured out how to shape the fabric and design ways to make the clothes stay on her body.


Mrs. Hoberg, mother of my friend Janet, encouraged sewing projects in her basement sewing room and provided us with a supply of fabric scraps. We felt free to experiment, so we had fun.

I especially liked this green cotton dress with the yellow ribbon -- one of my better creations. I was pleased with the way the wooden bead worked to control the tightness of the shoulder straps.  

Cindy Bear says Hi!

1 comment:

Ken Beck said...

A Delightful Bear! And wonderful outfits.