Friday, August 31, 2012

Sewing Machine

This week I pulled out my sewing machine and began to make a pair of curtains. As I sewed, I remembered the arrival of this fancy machine into our home in Danvers years ago. It was such a wonderful upgrade from our old black Singer machine!



The curtain project was delayed as I stopped to write about my memory of this practical gift. I am submitting my next column on this subject. It was a birthday gift to me, but with the clear understanding that it was for the whole family to use until I grew older, married, and moved away from home. I was 16 at the time. When I married at 21, I think my parents were a bit chagrinned to lose the sewing machine so soon. I did make good use of it over the years, and it still runs.

Update:  My column titled The practical birthday gift was published on Sept 7, 2012.

No comments: