Thursday, July 16, 2009

Apollo 11

Do you remember where you were when men first walked on the moon? I was in Danvers sitting on my parents' couch in the living room, watching the TV intently. My infant son was on my lap. I wondered then what he and his generation would think about men walking on the moon -- so exciting and historic for us, but perhaps to become routine for him. He slept or nursed through most of the adventure. He was only 6 weeks old! Today on my computer I have just watched a 40th anniversary repeat of the countdown to the launch of Apollo 11. Walking on the moon hasn't become routine, but having powerful computers in our homes and being able to watch videos at any time has become routine. Apollo 11 videos: Will we return to the moon? See Paul Mailloux's recent column "New rockets for space exploration."

No comments: